The Douglass filea map and chart of the cape of good hope with the soundings in Cape Of Good Hope Map 629 X 768 pixels is enormously rare, but far afield more accessible is Braddock Mead's "Map of the Most Inhabited portion of supplementary England," published by Thomas Jefferys in 1755. Mead's map follows rather next door to that of Douglass, though afterward some significant improvements. For example, in Massachusetts Mead added supplementary place names (such as "Pentusok," now Pittsfield), introduced county boundaries, and combined Cape Ann to the mainland whereas Douglass had depicted it as an island.
Following the Revolution, the presidency of Massachusetts urgently required an accurate filea map and chart of the cape of good hope with the soundings in Cape Of Good Hope Map 629 X 768 pixels for at least three administrative objectives: calculating tax allotments to the towns based upon land valuations, supporting the sale of public land to pay off proceedings debts, and informing infrastructure development. Existing maps were too dated and little scale to be of use. For example, dozens of townships conventional after the 1750s were not shown upon the Douglass and Mead maps.
This presented the legislature afterward a dilemma, as public funding for a own up Map would have been prohibitively expensive. therefore in 1774 it resorted to an unfunded mandate, requiring each town in Massachusetts to conduct a survey of its territory and go along with a plot to the Secretary of State. These would subsequently be compiled and where essential reconciled to manufacture the filea map and chart of the cape of good hope with the soundings in Cape Of Good Hope Map 629 X 768 pixels.