The Douglass good hope route map Cape Of Good Hope Map 740 X 542 pixels is definitely rare, but far afield more accessible is Braddock Mead's "Map of the Most Inhabited portion of new England," published by Thomas Jefferys in 1755. Mead's map follows rather to the side of that of Douglass, even though following some significant improvements. For example, in Massachusetts Mead further new place names (such as "Pentusok," now Pittsfield), introduced county boundaries, and related Cape Ann to the mainland whereas Douglass had depicted it as an island.
Following the Revolution, the executive of Massachusetts urgently required an accurate good hope route map Cape Of Good Hope Map 740 X 542 pixels for at least three administrative objectives: calculating tax allotments to the towns based on estate valuations, supporting the sale of public estate to pay off lawsuit debts, and informing infrastructure development. Existing maps were too obsolescent and small scale to be of use. For example, dozens of townships usual after the 1750s were not shown on the Douglass and Mead maps.
This presented the legislature following a dilemma, as public funding for a let pass Map would have been prohibitively expensive. appropriately in 1774 it resorted to an unfunded mandate, requiring each town in Massachusetts to conduct a survey of its territory and assent a scheme to the Secretary of State. These would after that be compiled and where valuable reconciled to produce the good hope route map Cape Of Good Hope Map 740 X 542 pixels.